So you want to play a board game but you are missing the pawns. Sad, yet familiar tale.
Maybe the dog ate your Candy Land game pieces, or your kid sister turned the Monopoly dog into her doll’s family pet in her dollhouse. Wherever those pawns may be, you need to find them and quick!
Well, here’s another solution: turn other items, from around your house, into pawns instead. Here is a short list of common items that you can probably find quickly and use just as easily!
- Paper – cut it, color it, fold it, personalize it!
- Coins (penny, nickel, dime, quarter)
- Multi-colored pencil eraser caps
- Skittles (You could also use M&Ms as long as it isn’t in a warm environment….They should melt in your mouth, not on your game board.)
- Painted pop caps (Don’t have any paint? Nail polish works!)
- Speaking of nail polish, mini – or regular – nail polish bottles work!
- Jolly Ranchers (Keep them wrapped, or they’ll stick!)
- Buttons (just don’t cut them off mom’s blouse!)
- Worst case scenario, just take pawns from another game you have…don’t forget to return the pieces to the game when you are done! 🙂
What makeshift items do you use for pawns at your house or in your classroom?!